A couple of weekends ago, I took Hadley and Alli to Midland for Rock the Desert. It’s a 3 day Christian concert and is held outdoors. We couldn’t go to the first day because of school registration but made it to the other two days. There were some amazing bands there—Superchick, SwitchFoot, Skillet!, Revive, David Crowder Band, The Afters, DecemberRadio, Stars Go Dim, ShonLock, Remedy Drive and a few others. It was great to hear them perform all the songs I listen to everyday… One thing that kept dawning on me while we listened—I lose the meaning of the songs at times because I’m wrapped up in whatever I’m doing-traffic, kids in the car, my to-do list, whatever. There, the bands often told the stories behind the songs. The lyrics were so much more powerful when I actually listened.
Skillet was my favorite. They put on an incredible show—lights, smoke, flames, sparks, spinning platforms—and they were rocking the place! I really enjoyed their show and will see them again, given the chance. Revive was one of the bands I was really looking forward to seeing. What I did not realize was that RTD was their last performance together as a band. :( So, I bought a CD and got their autographs, along with a bunch of 13-year-old girls. Ha!
RTD had two stages set up—one was covered and called the teen tent. It was a much smaller venue. And cooler! Some of the bands played on both stages, so we got to experience that if we wanted. The teen tent was a more intimate setting, which I really liked. The larger stage was more like a regular concert—not as intimate and much louder. Also fun!
The forecast for all three days was a high of 106*. I never saw the actual temps, but I'm certain it was close. It was SO hot. SO. HOT. We took a beach umbrella for shade and there was usually a breeze. That helped, but unfortunately a breeze in Midland also means blowing dirt. We saw several dirt devils and were covered in dust by the end of each day. (Really glad I didn't take my good camera!)
Alli met a boy from Midland at her church camp earlier in the summer. Of course, she wanted to see him while we were there. His car was in the shop, so we picked him up and took him along with us both days. He was super nice—I was glad to get to know him. His dad is a pastor at Trinity Presbyterian there in Midland. Jon is a senior and is quite smitten with Alli. ♥
I think I earned some definite mom points for this trip… don’t you?

0 comments:
Post a Comment