Would you ever in a million years think I’d have anything to do with selling make up??? Nope. Me either! An acquaintance owns a Merle Norman store. One day earlier in the year, she asked if I would work for her occasionally. I said yes and have been filling in for her since spring. Most months, I only work 2-3 days. I didn’t work any in July. September has been a different story. Her dad has been ill for a while and was finally admitted to hospice. He passed away on the 17th. She had a lot going on with that so last week I put in 36 hours! It’s a really easy job until someone wants to try a new color. I don’t feel completely qualified to help with that, but I just do my best. The biggest drawback to the job is that I run the store all by myself. If no customers come in, I am BORED. I bring books, listen to audio books and watch Netflix on my phone when I have a strong enough signal. Sometimes I talk to my brother on the phone. Thankfully he has a job that’s slow sometimes too!
When I started working there I only used cheap brands that I could find at any drugstore, namely Wal-Mart. Patty gives me a pretty good discount, so I began to buy some of what I’m selling. I’m using a lot of their products now and am enjoying it. Unfortunately, I don’t think I can afford the stuff if I no longer get the discount! Last month, my check was for $93 and I had $113 in product. That’s $113 of discounted product! Ha! I try not to buy unless I know I’ll at least break even for the day. I hate the thought of going in the hole… <grin>
Here’s a picture of me on the job. The store also sells wigs, a bit of jewelry, handbags and candles.
Here’s a shot of the store from the front door. The décor is a bit dated and I’m not really a purple person. The owner is a purple person through and through!! Even the carpet is a shade of purple…

0 comments:
Post a Comment