Things just getting started here---by the time it got rolling, the streets were completely packed.
David has been busy, busy with cookouts the past few weeks. The last weekend in August was family day for his job. It’s a nice time---a cookout and then a day at our amusement park with the company footing the bill. Normally they cater the cookout. This year, they asked David if he would gather a crew and cook the hamburgers and hot dogs---for 4200 people! He said yes, even though I expressed my concern. I mean, more than FOUR THOUSAND PEOPLE??? That is big time! Those 4200 people—yes, I know I keep using that number, but it’s so HUGE!—were spread out over 4 meals. Some came on Saturday for lunch, Saturday for dinner, or the same on Sunday. The biggest crowd was scheduled for Saturday night, with 2000 rsvp’ing. It proved to be the most difficult service, but still went relatively smoothly. At one point, they were 700 burgers ahead then before he knew it, they were out. I can’t even think about those kinds of numbers for food…A few people had to wait briefly, but not too long. As far as he knows, nobody complained about the wait or the food. He rocked it! I’m so proud of him!
Then came the annual Chamber of Commerce Cook-off. It fell on Lance’s birthday again this year, so we let him get out of school a bit early to go help cook and to have a little fun. David was a little disappointed that he didn’t win anything for his ribs in the contest, as he’s been perfecting his recipe all year and thought for sure he had a winner! I tasted them, and of course they were awesome. Guess the judges just liked someone else’s a little better… Everyone who stopped by really loved his sliders. He ended up with 9th place for those in the “other” category.
The kids and I were able to go out for both nights and enjoy the great food and live music in the downtown area. David was able to get tickets for a few friends and family, too, so it was great to share the fun!

2 comments:
I can't get over it, either--4,000 people!! Congats to the hard workers and cookers.
annie
Yea! David! Amazing, isn't it? Wish his ribs had won. He can cook for me any day of the week!
Post a Comment